Hey how ya been? I have been decluttering on some days, but other days not too much.
Today I took a good look at my books to determine if they really reflect the person I am today. I have a hefty collection of books on the topic of women's spirituality. Although I still enjoy reading in this area, I don't feel a need anymore to hold on to every single book I own on this topic. I decided to keep any that I thought I might read again; any that I remember really enjoying; any that would fit into an underbed storage container (I've run out of room on the book shelves). Voila and 28 books are going to be donated this weekend. Yay me!
I am always inspired to make an extra push to declutter after reading blogs on the subject of simplicity. I spent several days reading Junk Pyramid, which I thoroughly enjoyed for its inspiration as well as its humorous style of writing.
Then today I read an article "4 Ways to Fight 'But I Might Need It Someday' Syndrome" on the On Simplicity blog. According to the article, the four ways to fight this insidious syndrome are: 1) you can buy it again later; 2) someone else can use it today; 3) you'll never remember you have it when you actually need it; 4) letting go is empowering.
So, my way of fighting the syndrome is to ask, Does this represent who I am, and what I'm interested in, today?

No comments:
Post a Comment