
The conventional wisdom of simplifying, or at least stabilizing, is whenever an item is purchased and brought into the home, another item should be taken out. Today I shopped for clothes and found a top that I had been looking for to replace a similar one that had shrunk in the wash. So this one-for-one swap was relatively easy. A new top, that fits! Replacing my old shrinky-dink. In this case I can donate the item, since it is in perfectly good shape.
What do the professional organizers have to say about closet decluttering? In the book Rightsizing your life: simplifying your surroundings while keeping what matters most, by Ciji Ware, the questions you should ask are:
- Do I wear it?
- Do I love it?
- Is it flattering and does it fit well?
- Do I have something to wear with it?
I discovered a tool on the web that can help women use their existing wardrobe to its best purpose. It's called ClosetCouture.com and it allows you to upload pictures of your clothes in order for you to see them as a whole. Then you can better picture putting the individual items together to form outfits. The best way to "shop your closet" and get maximum benefit and use from your clothes. A possible downside is that other people can see your clothes and offer help too. So don't tell my mom; Even today, after all these years, I can still hear her saying, "You're not leaving the house in that." :-P
image source: macys.com

No comments:
Post a Comment