Our little cottage is now an empty nest. The kids are grown and gone. What is my life all about now? I am semi-retired, working part-time at a university library. The free time has given me plenty of time to think, to evaluate, to begin defining what is important to me, and what is not so important any more. First, I feel an unmistakable sense of gratitude for all I've been given in life. Second, I feel that I've grown into a different person after raising kids and simplifying my work life. I look around my home and realize that my home doesn't really reflect the 'me' I am today. I want more focus on simplicity.
I began reading other people's blogs. Yesterday I discovered the Becoming Minimalist blog. I was completely enchanted with the idea of minimizing, with downsizing as a spiritual journey. Today I took pictures of all the rooms in my house and uploaded them to Flickr. I don't have a plan yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this journey.
Yesterday I was looking through old magazines, wondering if I could let them go. Magazines take up at least 8 shelves in the garage. I'll never go back to re-read them, I don't think. But they were a part of 'who-I-am' at one point. Are they 'me' anymore? And what's with the conflicting feelings about letting them go?

No comments:
Post a Comment