Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Layering Technique


OK, I completely made that up. 

Evidently this will be the way I approach any decluttering project. 

Even though I don't use certain things, I can only get rid of *some* of those things, but not all. Yesterday I went through my jewelry box. I had forgotten that I owned a lot of these items. I even laughed out loud at some of he necklaces, which were so unlike my style that I wonder what had possessed me to buy them. Out they go. I can't really wear earrings any more because of a jaw problem, so many of the heavier ones were chosen for give-away. But not all of them. I had to keep some of the small, cute earrings. Possibly as evidence? Of what? Maybe they represent the *artifacts* of my life, when I used to be a person who wore earrings. In many ways this makes no sense at all. But they will remain in my jewelry box a little longer; and the rest of my jewelry is organized and I can get to it easily when I need it. The next layer of decluttering will come later, when I'm ready for it.

Adding a link for the blog mentioned in my previous post: Becoming Minimalist

Also regarding the previous post: the picture is a snapshot look at part of our garage.

An interesting book I've read recently: How to simplify your life: seven practical steps to letting go of your burdens and living a happier life. The author is Tiki Kustenmacher, a minister and editor of a newsletter titled Simplify your life. The seven steps are like a pyramid, starting from the first level and working upward:
  • Simplify your things
  • Simplify your finances
  • Simplify your time
  • Simplify your health
  • Simplify your relationships
  • Simplify your life partnership
  • Simplify yourself
Quotation in the front of the book:

Easy is right.
Begin right and it will be easy.
Continue easy and it will be right.
The right way to go easy 
is to forget the right way
And forget that the going is easy.
--Chuang Tzu

No comments:

Post a Comment